Friday, August 9, 2013

First Review: Final Fantasy VII: Fanboys Rejoice

Oh jeez how long has it been since I last touched this game? Ages at least.  I remember,at the time, that this game was revolutionary. The first final fantasy game on the Playstation. It launched  my own RPG career, this much I know.  When I first played the game I admit the game was hard for me, I was only 10 or 11 at the time. I put over 99.99.99hours/min.seconds in to the game, and I still have the memory card it is on. Well enough of the babbling on to the review.

 There will be spoilers, you have had over 10 years to play the game, get over it.

Systems: This game is on multiple platforms now, allowing die-hard fans to replay, or newbies to come in and play a classic.

Steam: 12.99
Playstation Classics: 10.00$( Not sure it was at the time I bought it.)
Old PC: 30-40$( Hard to find, full of bugs on newer PCs)
Playstation 1( Good luck getting this below 70$)
--------

Story: The story to FFVII is not much more than a typical save the world adventure. Hell, most RPGs these days are that. However, it is how it is told that gets us going. There are a few plot twist, and a lot of major hits to the heart. The first tearjerker is when Red XIII learns that the father he hated, was not a coward, but a braver warrior. Who was turned to stone, and now protects Cosmo Canyon. I cried at this scene when I replayed the game this week.  Even now, over ten years later. The story still holds up to me.

There are a ton of translation errors, but there is a dedicated modding community at qhimm.com that fixes this. More on that later.

Gameplay: Oh I stand corrected after all this time, the game is super easy.  There are broken mechanics everywhere, such as the magic defense not being calculated. I found myself running from battles, and playing at a lower level just to get a challenge. There are some battles that can be a bit cheap, such as Reno and his constant pyramids sealing your allies. Or that silly crane that picks your allies up and uses them against you. It made me rage at those points. Once again there are mods that fix the difficulty, the mdef issue, and break the HP/MP limits. There is also the issue with the old PC version that the mini games go faster than light, but that is fixed with the new Remastered PC versions.

Graphics: God they are outdated as fuck.  They look like broken Legos. Thankfully mods can fix this, but on the new PC version you have to downgrade it. Which is an easy process and there are plenty of guides on it. I feel that in the future, we wont need to beg SquareEnix to remake FFVII, the modding community will already have it done.  I of course played with the mods on, and I admit I am more than happy with it. It brings them up to PS2+ graphics without much strain on your PC.

Length: FMVs, Minigames, and general sidequests will keep you busy. I know that I was kept busy for quite a while in the battle arena.  Just trying to get Omnislash on the first disk. If you are a completionist The game should keep you busy well over 40-60 hours.

Special Section, Modding Community:

 A big shoutout to Qhimm.com. There are several mods there to enhance your game-play, from new models to Hardcore difficulties.  As I said earlier, at the rate they are going I don't doubt that they will have remade FFVII from the ground up. They are even modding FFVIII's PC version as well. Of course there is not a lot of work on that one. Shit, I believe they even used the drivers from Aali in the remastered PC version.

Thank you for reading my review of Final Fantasy VII.

Next Review: Two-fer-one: Legend of Zelda Oracle Of Ages and Seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment